YouTube tops Spotify in podcasting as video preference rises: report

Podcasters create content in a casual setting. Photo credit: Kate Oseen

YouTube beats Spotify in podcasting despite the billions the Stockholm-based company has invested in content and technology, according to a new study.

Radio station operator Cumulus Media (which generated nearly $32 million from digital in the first quarter of 2022) and Toronto-based audio research firm Signal Hill Insights recently revealed this and other stats. revealing statistics in their Spring 2022 Podcasting Report.

The entities contracted London-based Maru Group’s MARU/Matchbox division to conduct the underlying survey, in which 604 people aged 18 or over took part. Members of this “nationally representative sample” said they spent at least an hour a week listening to or watching podcasts, organizers said.

On the latter front, the Spring 2022 analysis marks Cumulus’ eighth global podcast report as well as the first breakdown that allowed respondents to qualify by “watching” podcasts. 90% of respondents said they had “listened to podcasts in the past week”, while the remaining 10% said they had “only watched podcasts” in the previous seven days.

The point is significant, as 38% of respondents “who prefer podcasts with video” most often use YouTube to enjoy media, compared to 19% for Spotify, which opened up video podcasts in “select markets” in April.

Eight percent of respondents chose Apple third on the same list, and those who use YouTube for podcasts said they spent an average of 55.5 percent of viewing time watching the video in progress.

Drawing on the statistics, a combined 57% of weekly podcast consumers prefer to listen to podcasts while watching their video either in the background (29%) or directly (28%), the study shows – against a total of 43% in October 2021.

This pivot from podcasting to video (and, in turn, YouTube) is driven by “podcast newcomers” who started listening in the past year, the report says, with 64% of people preferring to read. video in the background (31%) or while actively watching (33%).

Only 36% of these podcast newcomers said they listened exclusively to audio, not video. On the other hand, 48% of “podcast pioneers”, defined as those who jumped on the podcast bandwagon at least four years ago, only listen to audio from podcasts, compared to 54% who only listen audio for “heavy podcast listeners” (those who consume at least six hours of podcasts per week).

Finally, in terms of the changing landscape of podcast listening, YouTube managed to overtake Spotify as the platform that respondents use “the most to access” their favorite programs, as mentioned at the start.

Excluding people who only access podcasts through video, 24.2% of survey participants said YouTube was their preferred platform, compared to 23.8% for Spotify and 16% for Apple. From October 2021, YouTube added 5.2% to its total, while Spotify increased by 3.8% and Apple even decreased by 4%.

Including video-only podcast enthusiasts, 25% of respondents said they most often use YouTube for their programming needs, compared to 23% for Spotify and 15% for Apple, which parted ways with 11% of its share since July 2019. .

Other interesting takeaways from the podcasting report include:

The growing share of podcasting from Apple, Spotify and YouTube

The report says 64% of weekly podcast listeners primarily use Apple (16%), Spotify (24%) or YouTube (24%) to access programs, up from a cumulative total of 55% in July 2019.

During the same period, Apple’s share fell by 10%, while Spotify’s and YouTube’s shares increased by around 10% each.

Willingness of podcast fans to attend related events

43% of weekly podcast listeners said they were very likely (24%) or somewhat likely (19%) “to attend a live event for your favorite podcast in the next six months,” making the space programs even closer to their character. relatively long talk shows of yesteryear.

The intersection of podcast listeners and video streaming service users

94% of weekly podcast listeners “have used a video streaming service in the past month”, according to the analysis, including 80% specifically for Netflix. Amid the rise of video podcasting, Netflix is ​​reportedly gearing up to add live content to its library.

Comments are closed.