How to Manage Friends Activity on Spotify
You may (or may not) be interested in what your friends are listening to. The good news is that you can manage your friends’ activity on Spotify. Here’s how.
The Spotify desktop app displays a Friend activity panel on the right side. It displays the music that friends are listening to. Adding friends to Spotify allows you to introduce new music to your friends and vice versa.
However, you might not be interested in seeing what your friends are listening to. You might prefer to remove this section for a cleaner Spotify experience. But, on the other hand, you might want to see what your friends are listening to but can’t see.
Either way, we’ll show you how to show or hide your friends’ activity on Spotify. We will also look into the possibility of entering a private listening session.
How to Show or Hide a Friend’s Activity on Spotify
To note: This process only works with the desktop version of Spotify.
You can remove the Friends Activity panel if you want a cleaner user experience with more screen space for the desktop app.
To show or hide the Friends Activity panel, follow these steps:
- Launch Spotify on your desktop.
- Click it X in the upper right corner of the panel to close it.
- This will hide the Friend activity panel and give you more room for music artist information.
- Another way to hide or show the Friends Activity panel is to click the three points button in the upper right corner.
- Select See and uncheck Friend activity from the menu.
Note that using the X The option will only close the Friends Activity panel. Instead, you have to use the menu bar option to bring up the Friends Activity panel again.
Use Spotify settings to show or hide your friends’ activity
You can also go to Spotify settings to show or hide friends’ activity. The process is simple, following these steps:
- Launch Spotify, click on your profile icon in the upper-right corner, then choose Settings from the menu.
- On the Settings page, scroll down to Display section and switch the See what your friends are playing turn on or off.
When the switch is off, the Friends Activity panel disappears, and when it is on, the Friends Activity panel is displayed.
How to hide your listening activity on Spotify
In addition to not wanting to see what your friends are listening to, you may want your session to be private. So only you can see your listening activity instead of your friends seeing it.
To start a private listening session, follow these steps:
- Launch Spotify on your desktop and click your profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Click on Private session from the menu.
- You immediately enter a private session. A padlock icon will remain next to your name during the private session.
- To exit the private session, click your profile icon again and select Private session to finish.
Enjoy Spotify with (or without) friends
Sometimes you might not need to know what your friends are listening to. By following the steps above, you can remove the activity panel for a less cluttered interface.
It’s also good to know that you can participate in a private session. If you do, you don’t have to worry about your friends learning about your listening habits.
As for privacy on Spotify, you can also create a private playlist. To go further in your privacy, unlink Spotify from your Facebook account.